Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Coordinator, Student Leadership
Temporary full-time from June 1, 2021 to December 31, 2022
Hiring #: 2021-0171
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Department of Student Experience requires a professional to provide oversight and administration of policy and processes related to student engagement and leadership for student clubs and organizations, as well as leadership education and development activities for the general student population.
The Coordinator, Student Leadership oversees the administration and implementation of the Student Organization Policy. This includes oversight of student organization accreditation and policy adherence. The Coordinator provides day-to-day oversight of the institutional Student Events and Risk Management program and policy, including reviewing and approving student organization events, advising the Student Events and Risk Management Coordinator, ensuring policy adherence, and delivering training on the policy. The Coordinator manages the online student engagement and events platform and serves as the campus administrator of the platform.
The Coordinator provides advisement support to Recognized Student Organizations and acts as an advisor and mentor for student leaders on organizational capacity, overall success, and required policy compliance.
The Coordinator assesses needs, designs, and delivers programs and services that support the student body in the development of student civic engagement and leadership. The Coordinator acts as a lead for campus collaborations and is accountable for devising and delivering educational programming for graduating undergraduate student transition.
The Coordinator supervises and provides direction to 2 student staff and approximately 5 Peer Helpers. The Coordinator co-supervises the Student Events and Risk Management Coordinator (a student staff member) with the undergraduate student union. The Coordinator reports to the Leadership Education and Development Advisor.
In order to be successful in this role, the incumbent is required to have:
- An undergraduate degree, coupled with a minimum of 1 year of experience working in a student engagement function.
- Experience in interpreting and explaining a range of policies and protocols.
- Knowledge of and practical experience working with event management and risk management processes.
- Demonstrated experience with implementing and assessing training programs.
- An ability to collaborate amongst diverse groups.
- An ability to communicate well in conflictual situations and with diplomacy and tact.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Practical experience in supervision of student staff.
- A strong aptitude in written, verbal, and non-verbal communication.
- Intermediate to advanced level Microsoft365, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and database management is required.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 04 26
Closing Date: 2021 05 03