Job Title Finance
Category Financial Specialists, All Other
Salary 112,500 CAD
Manager, External Reporting and Accounting Policy
Toronto, ON, CA, M5G 1X6
Status: Full Time, Permanent
Education Level: University Degree in Business Administration, Finance or, Accounting. Professional Accounting CPA, CA Designation is required.
Location(s): Downtown Toronto – 700 University Ave, Toronto, ON
Travel: Yes – As required
Deadline to Apply: April 11th, 2021
BE THE GENERATION to challenge and change.
At Ontario Power Generation Inc. (OPG), our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about us that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship. We operate a diverse portfolio of generation assets including nuclear, hydroelectric, biomass, and solar, and offer challenging and unique work opportunities. BE THE GENERATION to power tomorrow.
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for a results-driven, analytical leader to join our team in the role of Manager, External Reporting and Accounting Policy.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, the Manager, External Reporting and Accounting Policy will ensure OPG’s compliance with accounting standards and is responsible for the support and review of financial reporting and disclosure requirements for annual and quarterly filings as set out by securities commissions or contractual requirements. This role will also ensure compliance with accounting standards and reporting requirements for purposes of reporting OPG’s consolidated results to the Province of Ontario. This role involves a high profile of interaction with senior management and various stakeholders across the organization in addition to interaction with the Province.
The successful candidate must bring strong process and reporting improvement skills.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to Ontario Power Generation’s continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner.
Through a collaborative relationship with the Senior Manager, External Reporting and Accounting Policy provide the following:
- Prepare annual and quarterly MD&A, News Release, AIF and other information used for external reporting purposes. This includes information submitted to the Audit and Risk Committee and the Board of Directors and information filed with external bodies such as the Ontario Securities Commission;
- Partner with various internal stakeholders to prepare disclosures to communicate key developments related to OPG’s operational excellence, project excellence, financial strength, and social licence. Prepare financial analysis to support external communications and financial reports to the Province;
- Review and comment on OPG’s (and subsidiary) annual and quarterly financial statements and notes, which have been prepared for external reporting purposes;
- Work closely with the Company’s external auditor to resolve non-routine and complex accounting and finance-related issues;
- Evaluate, prepare and implement new accounting policies for complex accounting areas, and provide advice on complex accounting issues and their implications under US GAAP and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). Partner with internal and external stakeholders to prepare analysis supporting the accounting conclusions;
- Review/monitor accounting developments and prepare/present related analysis to evaluate impact to the financial results thus keeping the Company informed of new accounting and reporting requirements and developments that could impact the Company;
- Provide feedback on comment letters for exposure drafts to external bodies such as the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB). This includes performing a review of technical accounting literature published by the authoritative accounting organizations;
- Review and update existing corporate accounting and financial policies and processes that comply with reporting requirements under US GAAP and IFRS;
- Manage accounting implementation projects. Evaluate the accounting implications of strategic proposals including sensitive decisions and their impact on financial results and various financial metrics;
- Report to the Audit and Risk Committee on updates on a quarterly basis;
- Ensure the end-to-end financial reporting process is compliant with appropriate internal controls and ensure efficiency in the overall process on an ongoing basis; and
- Ensure OPG’s internal and external financial analysis and reporting meets the shareholder’s requirements and present to senior management.
- University degree with an emphasis on Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or equivalent; and
- Master’s degree in Accounting or an MBA would be an asset.
We are seeking a dynamic accounting professional with the following:
- 4-6 years of accounting, external reporting, external audit experience is required, experience in a public company or rate-regulated environment is an asset;
- Experience in preparing and reviewing external financial reports (MD&A, financial statements, and AIF), and performing analysis to explain the financial and operational performance of the business;
- Experience conducting technical accounting analysis under both IFRS and US GAAP, including researching and analyzing accounting issues, and implementing new accounting policies or updating current accounting policies to comply with technical accounting developments;
- Experience in review of audited financial statements and exposure to various internal control environment;
- A results-oriented focus is essential, as is the ability to work in a fast-paced changing environment and effectively manage several projects simultaneously;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to influence and communicate effectively across the company and externally at all levels;
- Sense of urgency and decision-making skills conducive to managing priorities and meeting internal and external timelines;
- Aptitude for leadership, management experience; were effectively led, influenced, and motivated a team of accounting / external reporting resources would be an asset;
- Ability to work in a cross-functional environment, while collaborating closely with the External Reporting and Accounting Policy team. Strong interpersonal skills, experience in maintaining productive relationships;
- Sound judgment, attention to detail, critical thinking, and creative problem-solving abilities;
- Proficient with the use of information technology tools such as Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Experience in using IBM Cognos Disclosure Management would be an asset; and
- Experience in utilities, electricity, or power industries is preferred.
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, OPG offers an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to Ontario's success.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide.
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities.
- Electricity is vital to the province.
- If you are looking to learn from others and be part of something important, and you are excited about the future of power generation, you will find the right fit at OPG.
Our promise to you:
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop in our diverse lines of business.
- Provide spaces for innovative thinking and solutions, such as Launchpad or X-Lab.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- We support employment equity and diversity.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ by 11:59 PM E.S.T., April 11th, 2021. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact AODA@opg.com