Job Title Director of Finance & Operations
Category Financial Managers
Salary 80,000 CAD (per year)
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE & OPERATIONS
Are you looking to be a leader in a well-established charity that is on the cusp of its next major growth phase? Are you looking for an opportunity to not only manage a critical organisational function, but to be a part of its growth and development? The Alzheimer Society of Nova Scotia is seeking an innovative, dynamic Director of Finance & Operations to work with our dedicated leadership team and talented staff to take our organisation to the next level.
The Alzheimer Society of Nova Scotia (ASNS) is the leading not-for-profit health organization working to improve the quality of life for Nova Scotians affected by Alzheimer's disease or other dementias and advance the search for the cause and cure. Since 1983, ASNS has provided help for people with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias and their caregivers – and that help comes in many ways. The organization has grown significantly over the past 5 years and presently employs over 25 well-trained, committed, hardworking staff, including a highly motivated, knowledgeable, and dedicated leadership team who have been working together for 10+ years. As we start to plan for our post-COVID-19 future, we are excited to be able to bring a dedicated Finance and Administration leader to our table and help build a sustainable future.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and working closely with the Director of Programs and Services and the Director of Philanthropy the Director of Operations provides senior leadership and management for the organization’s financial and operational processes, administration, data, and HR and plays a vital role in assuring the overall success of ASNS. As part of a strong and focused team the Director of Finance & Operations will bring their financial and business acumen, drive, commitment, and dynamism to this pivotal role and lead a full review of current practice and process and implement positive change.
ASNS is seeking a collaborative professional with a passion for the cause and the energy, strategic foresight, and management experience to make a difference. The Director of Finance & Operations will be an accomplished finance professional and embrace their role in ensuring our operation is effectively and efficiently managed, our team has access to timely, accurate finance and data reporting, and will also play a key role in interpreting that data into action as part of our holistic approach to leadership. A background in or understanding of the not-for-profit sector will be a major asset, however professionals from other sectors looking for a long-term change will also be considered.
The position is required to work out of our office in North End Halifax; our team have been working a combination of remote/home office and in our physical office space through COVID-19, and some remote working will be considered (and may be required according to Public Health Advisories); however, permanent remote working is not possible. Applications from candidates outside of Nova Scotia who are unable to be physically present cannot be considered.
Hearing from you is important: please include a resume in your application, AND a cover letter telling us about you, and why you want to join our team.
Please note, this position was previously posted in July 2020 and a hire completed. The candidate withdrew for personal reasons.
Working in not-for-profit is a unique, challenging, and fulfilling career - but it isn't for the faint of heart! As a person-centred organisation, we put personhood at the centre of what we do and the needs of clients, partners, staff, volunteers, donors, and supporters are top-of-mind in all decision-making processes. We hire based on specialty - however, the nature of our work and our sector means that the expectation of all our team mates is that we are nimble and flexible in our approach to our work - we do what we need to do to ensure continuous support to our clients and the health and wellness of our other stakeholders.
Leaders at ASNS are empowered to manage their portfolios accountably; we work hard toward the singular goal of offering the best support to those on the dementia journey and bring our skills and expertise as indivduals and as part of a wider team. Our work is difficult but rewarding, and we go to bed tired - for all the right reasons. If you are a dynamic and driven person who wants to use their skills to make a real difference, then ASNS is a great place to hang your hat.
ASNS is committed to alleviating the personal and social consequences of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias and promoting the search for causes and cures.
· Provide leadership in addressing the reality of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
· Strengthen existing programs and create new ones in response to ever increasing needs.
· Advance and develop educational opportunities.
· Participate in and promote research.
· Provide an environment that attracts and retains high quality staff and volunteers.
Our values are “CARE: Collaboration, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence.” Work is in process to ensure that ASNS values underpin all aspects of our working culture, from hiring and orientation to performance evaluations to how we manage our day to day and interact with each other:
· Collaboration - We work together as one organization, and actively engage with partners to fulfill our mission and achieve our goal – that Nova Scotians receive personal and responsive services throughout their dementia journey.
· Accountability - We measure our performance and follow a process of continuous improvement. We are wholly accountable for our actions, we lead with personal accountability, and must account to our stakeholders for our use of the financial and human resources available to us.
· Respect - We set for ourselves the highest standards of honesty, trustworthiness and professional integrity in all aspects of our organization and carry out our work with the utmost respect for the dignity and the rights of the people we serve, and those we work alongside.
· Engagement - We strive to engage stakeholders in meaningful ways. To inform, listen and be attentive to those we work with - people with dementia, families, community partners, donors, volunteers and staff members.