Job Title Geotechnical engineer
Category Engineers, All Other
Job Description - Geotechnical Engineer - Ports and Terminals (VAN004W)
Geotechnical Engineer - Ports and Terminals - VAN004W
Company : Advisian
Employment Type : Employee
Job Level : Experienced
Job Posting: Aug 20, 2021
Reporting Manager Title : Team Lead, Geoscience
Geotechnical Engineer - Ports and Terminals
Advisian, Worley Group
Advisian is the specialist consulting business line of Worley providing solutions for clients in the Hydrocarbons, Mining, Minerals & Metals, Chemicals and Infrastructure industries. As part of one of the world’s largest engineering firms, we continue to push boundaries and extend our capabilities globally. Worley is a company that prides itself on providing safe and high-quality services that exceed our customer’s expectations, which is why we manage some of the world's leading projects. Our aim is to recruit, develop, and most importantly, retain the people who share our vision and strategy.
The Geotechnical Engineer opening is a full-time position based out of Vancouver, BC, within Advisian’s Ports and Terminals Geoscience Practice.
Our Geotechnical Engineering group is part of the Geoscience service line in the Americas and comprises 70+ engineering professionals with a broad range of technical skills and experience and is part of the larger Global Geoscience Practice which comprises over one hundred geotechnical, geological and geophysical professionals throughout the world. The types of projects executed by this team include large diameter pipelines, coastal LNG facilities, industrial processing plants, oil sands developments, dam structures, pipeline integrity, geohazard assessments and marine terminals.
Total lifecycle expertise
Advisian’s expertise spans across the full project lifecycle through feasibility, design, construction, and operations. This allows us to recognize opportunities and risks early and influence early phase decision-making to optimize the geotechnical outcome.
Through integrated teams we provide clients with a single interface that delivers efficiency and clarity of accountability within the technical team. Teams from various disciplines allow for everyday face-to-face interaction, effective communication, quick decision-making, and sharing of ideas as we strive for efficiency and innovation.
Unrivalled industry knowledge
Our consultants are involved in the most diverse projects globally, and possess unrivaled industry knowledge and experience across key areas such as onshore, nearshore, and offshore site characterization; geotechnical engineering; management of tailings; design of roads, railway, tunnels, ports, and pipelines, and advanced numerical analysis.
Our services include:
- Marine and coastal consulting
- Facility development
- Dam Safety Auditing and Engineering
Whom you would work with:
Our Geotechnical Engineering Practice seeks someone with strong business development, technical and communication skills and who is eager to work with a group of dynamic individuals and contribute to the growth of our practice. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to interact on a wide array of geosciences projects, and work collaboratively with multiple technical and advisory disciplines.
What we expect of you;
Overall Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities
- Provide mentoring, coaching and identify career and practice development opportunities to junior staff
- Coordinate with the Practice Lead, Managing Consultants and other team members to ensure staffing levels are adequate for project needs
- Promote a culture of zero harm within the team and associated business
- Ensure quality and consistency in Geotechnical Engineering Practice deliverables on projects
- Provide geotechnical engineering knowledge on projects and pursuits, including geological site reconnaissance, geotechnical site characterization (including overburden drilling and rock coring), geotechnical analysis (including slope stability, seepage, dynamic responses, trenchability, ground improvement, deep foundations, etc.), laboratory analysis, geotechnical engineering design, geotechnical owner’s engineering and geotechnical QA/QC inspection, testing and reporting
- Geotechnical engineering recommendations regarding, but not limited to, seismic analysis, soil mechanics, soil and rock engineering parameters, deep and shallow foundations, frost issues, soil dynamic parameters and site development
- Prepare report and proposals, attend client meetings, and deliver client and industry facing project overviews and presentations
- Work as part of an integrated delivery team within our business, comprising of other engineering disciplines, professional environmental scientists, project delivery and project support staff on existing and new Advisian/Worley projects.
What you bring to the team
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution plus appropriate continuing education in civil/geotechnical engineering, or equivalent
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with EGBC
- A minimum of four (4) years of related experience practicing civil and/or geotechnical, engineering on large scale and/or complex projects
- Professional experience in industries such as upstream/downstream oil and gas, industrial development, and mining, marine structures, linear development (including road, rail, power and pipeline)
- Ability to present technical information, both written and verbally, in a concise and professional manner
- A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience in preparing proposals and assisting developing engineering and capital cost estimates
- Demonstrated capability to conduct geotechnical engineering through field investigations to design, and train, mentor and develop junior staff
- Strong level of commercial acumen, including cash collection, workshare, change management and contract review and management
- Self-starter, flexible team player, willing and able to work on a wide variety of tasks and to coordinate staff
Preferred Experience / Qualifications
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution plus appropriate continuing education in civil/geotechnical engineering, or equivalent
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) within the continental Unites States of America
- Familiarity with large industrial site selection and development, marine structure design, dredging and/or major site investigation and field trails planning
- Seismic assessment, design including ground improvement
- Northern climate engineering skills and experience
- Working knowledge of industry standard business support systems, i.e. project planning packages, cost management systems, ISO9001 quality management systems
- Project management and project commercial management experience
Advisian (part of the Worley Group) offers an excellent remuneration & benefits package, a friendly, professional, dynamic and flexible work environment along with the opportunity to develop your career prospects within the United States and overseas.
We strive to be an industry leader in health, safety and environmental performance. Our vision is to achieve zero harm to people and assets, and zero environmental incidents. We select people who share our values, beliefs and commitment to this vision and who demonstrate the expected behaviors, competencies and performance associated with their prospective roles within the company.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Advisian is an equal opportunity employer.